Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Compliment Schmopliment

When I was a young teen I went to drama camp. it wasn’t very official. It was cheap. So who cared if I didn’t really like acting or going to places?
For some reason, we had to audition for parts we didn’t want or fully understand. I was handed some lines and pitted against another girl for the part of Main Girl. I was ready to just hand the coveted part over but I had a feeling that wasn’t an option.
I started saying the words out loud.
The instructor was impressed and said so.
It was the worst possible scenario.
I suddenly had nowhere left to go but down.
The pressure was intense.
My hands started shaking and my vision became blurry.
I couldn’t keep the paper still and couldn’t see the words.
I looked up at the instructor’s frozen grin.
She was no longer impressed.
My body settled down and I quickly finished up the lines.
I didn’t get the part.
The world made sense again.

15 years later and I still can’t take a compliment.
If someone says to me, You handled that well. I start to fumble with my words and try to convince them why they’re wrong.
Then they stare at me.
Then I don’t stop talking nonsense.
Then I run out of breath.
...
Then they change the subject.

I recently was speaking with a woman about a very small thing we had in common. I expressed to her that I often don’t pursue what I want because I assume I will fail. She threw her head back in surprise and said, I have never felt that way. That kind of thought has never entered my head. I’ve never felt like I couldn’t do something.
And I thought, So you used your confidence to become a lawyer? Maybe I’m glad to be self-conscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment